“”So Far Away” is a song composed by Mark Knopfler, singer, guitarist and leader of the English rock band Dire Straits. It is the song that opens the band’s most successful album, “Brothers In Arms”, recorded at AIR Studios in Monserrat and released in 1985.
The song was the first single from “Brothers In Arms” released in the UK and Europe in April 1985 and reached number twenty in the UK, number four in Norway, number six in Switzerland, number seven in Sweden and number thirty-one. three in Italy and was also released in Australia and reached twenty-two.
It also peaked at number twenty-nine on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in 1985. “So Far Away” was released a year later as the album’s third single in North America, where it peaked at number three on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart. at number nineteen on the Billboard Hot 100, giving the band their third consecutive Top 20 song, from the album Brothers in Arms on the Hot 100.
– Mark Knopfler: Lead vocals and lead guitar.
– Jack Sonni: Rhythm guitar and backing vocals.
– Guy Fletcher: Keyboards and backing vocals.
– Alan Clark: Keyboards and backing vocals.
– John Illsley: Bass and backing vocals
– Omar Hakim/Terry Williams: Drums.